Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Meddling with medlars

A lovely neighbour of ours gave David a bag full of these unusual looking fruit (and some quinces - yum). Neither of us knew what they were, but a quick look in 'The Complete Guide to Fruit Growing in Australia' showed them to be medlars. Now, what to do with them? Sally Wise's book 'A Year in a Bottle' includes two recipes, one for medlar jelly and another for medlar liqueur, which both sound very tasty. Now, which to make? Do you have a favourite use for them?

4 comments:

  1. We have a medlar tree, but haven't ventured into making anything with them yet. The bletting aspect freaks me out a bit and we have a lot of other fruit to keep us busy.

    Last year we offered the fruit to Amanda and Stephen from http://blog.gourmetgatherer.org/ - they made jelly and kindly gave us a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'm leaving them to 'blet' at the moment which will give me a couple of weeks to work out what to do with them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My new house has a medlar, and I haven't even picked them yet. No idea what I'll try to make. We should share success / failures for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds great! They look so interesting that I'm quite keen to plant one, but I won't if I can't find good uses for them. Apparently the liqueur needs to sit for 6+ months so it will be a while before I find out if it is good!

    ReplyDelete